NAKA Stair Nosings
Stair nosing allows you to improve the overall visibility of the staircase easily. One of the main reasons for people to fall on the stairs is the poor visibility (when all the stairs and the edges appear in the same colour, people cannot distinguish one stair from the other). You can reduce this annoyance significantly by installing stair noses of different colours and help people to tell apart stairs easily when they are in a rush.
The stair nosing should be selected based on the following criteria:
- Whether the stair nosing is for residential, commercial or industrial purpose
- The environment to which the stair nosing is exposed
- The stair nosing material – The stair setting, the environment, and the exposure decides the nosing material
- The traffic taken by the nosing – for low or high-volume traffic areas
- Slip-resistance of nosing
More importantly, many local governments demand commercial buildings to equip their stairs with stair nosing as a safety precaution. Therefore, it is important to have sturdy and anti-slip nosings installed to avoid accidents and wear of stairs.
With reference to BCA – The Code on Accessibility in the built environment 2019:
18.104.22.168 Stair nosings must not project beyond the face of the riser and the riser may be vertical or have a splay backwards up to a maximum 25mm, as shown in Figure 45
22.214.171.124 All steps must be fitted with non-slip nosing strips between 50mm and 65mm in width with permanent contrasting colours
NAKA Stair Nosings fulfills and complies BCA – The Code on Accessibility and met the nosing requirements specified in the Code.
Benefits and performance of NAKA Stair Nosings are:
- BCA – The Code on Accessibility compliant stair nosing
- Enhanced slip, trip, stumble and fall prevention
- Reduced incidences of slips, trips and falls
- Ensures anti-slip surface for pedestrians
- Available in custom length and sizes
- Available in colours of choice and base materials
- Impact-resistant metal backing capable of withstanding heavy traffic indoors and outdoors
- Profiles to fit the most types of stairs such as vertical riser, bevelled nosing and angled riser
- Remains anti-slip in wet, oily, greasy, dry and dirty conditions
- Tested to the requirements of AS/NZS 4586-2013 Slip Resistance Classification
BASIC INSTALLATION GUIDE
It is very important that prior to installation, the project is planned and set out to achieve a satisfactory and compliant result. Layout the NAKA Stair Nosings in the designated areas, using a straight edge / string line or tape to ensure the nosing edges are straight align with the steps.
(a) Steps with closed sides (end to end method): Ensure the nosing length is correctly measured for every step or risers to achieve perfect fitting result.
(b) Steps with closed sides (gap method): Gap distance for both end of the steps must be observed prior to ensure the overall nosing length is correctly measured for centre of the step or risers to achieve perfect alignment result.
(c) Steps with exposed sides: Ensure the nosing is set back from exposed side by at least 20mm to ensure the out-edge of the nosing does not present a sharp hazard.
Substrates must be uncontaminated and unsealed. NAKA Stair Nosings must be installed on a smooth, flat and free of dust/debris surface, to ensure stair nosing, adhesive and fixing anchors have maximum surface area contact with substrate. Any irregularities must be corrected before installation of the NAKA Stair Nosings.